Lincoln student wins national competition

victoriabellphoto2

A business student has secured a top graduate job after winning a national competition for rising stars of the events industry.

Victoria Bell, who is in the third year of her BSc (Hons) Events Management degree in the University’s Lincoln Business School, defeated 14 other finalists in The Eventice 2016 held in London (from 1 to 3 March).

Her prize is a job starting in June at the Bluehat Group, a major London events company, after winning the competition which was assessed by a group of industry professionals in a format similar to the popular TV show, ‘The Apprentice’.

Among the tasks Victoria completed during the three-day final was to write a pitch for an event in Rio de Janeiro, devise a viral marketing campaign for The Shard and give a talk about a personal passion.

A further assignment was a ‘Scavenger Hunt’ where she was asked to find obscure items within a fixed time limit.

Victoria, who is originally from Cyprus, said: “Overall it was a pretty intense experience, but I’ve met some amazing people who I hope to stay in touch with. I’m still finalising the details with Bluehat, but I will be their new account executive come June.

“Over my three years at the University I have undertaken a range of modules in not only events, but finance and business. They have given me a range of skills from a number of different backgrounds.”

Hanya Pielichaty, Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader for the BSc (Hons) Events Management programme at the University of Lincoln, said: “The Events Management degree is only in its fourth year so to win a competition like this is an amazing achievement for both Victoria and our degree course.

“We had every confidence in Victoria and she has made both the staff and students within the Events and Tourism subject group very proud. We wish Victoria the very best with her future employee.’

This competition, which was started in 2011, is for final year events management students at universities across the UK. It is run by esprecruitment in association with Mash Media and Bluehat.