Scholarships to recognise academic excellence

LauraSimmons

The University of Lincoln has announced it will award a series of scholarships worth thousands of pounds to its highest achieving undergraduates starting degree courses this September.

The Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship, introduced last year to recognise outstanding academic achievement and commitment to extracurricular activities, is worth £9,000 over three years.

This year the University of Lincoln expects to welcome around 3,000 highly-qualified undergraduates, many of whom will receive their results on Thursday 15th August.

New undergraduates enrolling at the University of Lincoln this September who have achieved the highest UCAS points total in a single exam sitting this year will be in contention for the Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship. The winner will be selected from a pool of eligible candidates for having shown exceptional commitment to their subject discipline and their local community. Each shortlisted candidate will receive the University of Lincoln Scholarship, worth £1,000 in the first year. Awards will be presented at a ceremony in the autumn term.

Laura Simmons was the first recipient of the Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship in 2012/13, having achieved outstanding results to secure her place in the School of Sport and Exercise Science at Lincoln.

Now entering her second year, Laura, originally from Newark, Nottinghamshire, said: “Receiving the Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship was completely unexpected. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could achieve such an amazing award! University is where everything begins, from friendships to your future, and the scholarship has made a huge difference to my experience so far.

“It has enabled me to really make the most of my first year, and I haven’t had to panic about any sort of funding for the rest of my time at Lincoln. I also know that it will provide valuable support over the next couple of years, especially because I hope to go on to train as a teacher following my first degree.”

Professor Mary Stuart, Vice Chancellor at the University of Lincoln, said: “These scholarships are a way of acknowledging and celebrating the academic excellence our new undergraduates have achieved as they begin their studies with us at Lincoln.”

The Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship and University of Lincoln Scholarships are additional to the University of Lincoln’s bursary support package, which is worth up to £3,000 in Year 1 for eligible students.

Details on scholarships, bursaries and general fees and funding information can be found on the University of Lincoln’s website: www.lincoln.ac.uk