Professor Mary Stuart Honoured with CBE

Picture 1426

Professor Mary Stuart, Vice Chancellor of the University of Lincoln, has been awarded an Honorary Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE).

This nomination was approved by the Queen earlier this year and Professor Stuart was notified last week. She received the award for “services to higher education” and this honour follows her recent success in being voted the Guardian’s Inspirational Leader of 2018.

In addition, this month the University of Lincoln celebrated launching its new medical school, ascending the league tables in student satisfaction, and reaching its highest ever ranking of 43rd in the Complete University Guide league table.

Professor Stuart said: “I feel very humbled to receive this honour.  My start in higher education in the UK was not the most typical and there were many challenges but education has always inspired me. I have tried to champion the transformative nature of how education can change minds, change lives and change the world.

“Higher Education in the UK has a long and noble tradition of making a difference to our society and supporting positive change in society.  I am delighted to serve my University and will continue to do all I can to support students, research and the sector.”

During her time in Lincoln, the University has transformed, growing its reputation as a forward looking institution.  There are seven new academic Schools of study, there is strong employer endorsement, exceptional student engagement and a growing reputation for research with impact.

Professor Stuart will receive her CBE at a ceremony later this year.